Saturday 29 March 2014

Im going to Live AND I found the bag of new buys lol

Am feeling well enough today to have shifted the ironing pile out my way ( no, not to actually iron anything )
AND blow me,
there was my bag of new buys hiding beneath!
Who on earth put them there?!
YEAHHH anyway, here's some photos from the show and of my buys

Okay now this is what I'd like to make for my back door as a fly deterrent, but with strings closer together?
 I could always use old craft magazines for a more colourful look maybe!



I cant read who made it sorry, maybe it will show up better once its posted, but I really liked that shed used printed pages like that.
Reminded me of lace curtains for some reason.
 
 
 
I've included this picky above because almost everybody had dressed their stalls this way, displaying fat quarter packs in star shapes and I thought they looked so good. No, I didn't buy those!



These above are an alternative way of making a rag rug if you think about it, although these displayed were circular cushions. They were really striking and could be a lot of fun made with scrap fabrics and a less uniform colour pattern I reckon. They are simply triangles of fabric, stitched in position of course, a clever idea from the third world.



There were some interesting samples of stumpwork, example above, loved the hair (s) !
 
There was quite a large display of knitted 6' tall 'books' there, but I only took a few pics of some of the items shown, but this below was really lovely to see.
                    A bedtime story !
                        historical and mythical figures in stitch
you got to like that 'mummy' on the wall!  : )


The Centaur much different to the one I made and of course lady above, quite a bit different to my Medusa!!



            A fiery dragon, 'scaled' in 4" knitted squares.
And although very dark, this was an interesting white stitches on white embroidery - well I think it was white on white, come to think of it,
maybe it was cream on cream!
( It would work well, white on white though Mary Anne and Deanna!)
 
Okay so now to what I bought!

The beautiful batiks that jean ( made) me buy much better colours than shown here, yummmmmy stuff
The blue hoop is the circular knitting needle and heres the crochet hook too. sadly you cant pick out the lovely white on white fabrics, all differently patterned.

 
Oh yes, I got some Inktense blocks at the bottom there,
going to have to learn what to do with them, will have to read back through Shelagh Folgates blog!

 
And here's that natty Spider Tool above , hope you watched the You Tube clip in the last post, its a natty gadget that I reckon.
The circular 'skirt' below was made with the Spider Tool but it was ever so heavy, so wearing it might not be ideal - although it could certainly double as a chastity belt!
But the substance of the fabric would work really well for a bag or a rug I think.

I finally bought some weaving sticks too, they only sold them in a pack darn it, like I need any more wool to practise with! But I want to make a batch of head huggers using them to use up some of my yarn stash in a different way.

 
I also bought a book ( its upstairs and I forget its title, already!)  off this lady whose felted wool work was so pretty.
Mind you she was really frosty, perhaps because this was day 3 of a busy show and she still had one more day to go?
Or perhaps because Jeans greeting to her as we approached the stall was
"Oh its the blanket lady!" LOL
Mind you, she was right, the lady had started off by dyeing old wool blankets!
She was very po faced though!


~ and just because she's delightful and was practising her 
tambourine skills!


Right, my energy's run out folks, this recovery is going to be slow -
maybe a hot toddy will help -

crushed paracetomol
lemon juice
honey
whisky
and hot water
taken at bedtime : )

goodnight!

6 comments:

  1. great photos-thanks and love your new treasures-have fun with those

    ReplyDelete
  2. you always post great pics when you go to shows. i so appreciate that. i must say those knitting needles made me laugh. they are hilarious. i've never seen anything like them. what size are they? i've seen those weaving sticks locally but have never tried that....not yet anyway. hope you'll be up to snuff soon. i always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely batiks:) I'm afraid I'm a batikaholic...LOL

    The stumpwork ...I have that book...the picture of the lady is it it too. It's called "White Edwardian Lady". The book is called Embroidered Portraits by Jan Messent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful show and such fabulous purchases! The batiks are yummy! As for the hot toddy recipe the paracetamol is an interesting addition! Must give that a go sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great fun to see the show through your eyes! I especially like the lady with the child & book piece and you know I'd love the white embroidery as well! Must say that Jean has good taste with the thing she forced you to buy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better Lyn but I would keep up with the hot toddy ;-) I've seen a completely different side to the Show from your blog. I think the lady who made the curtain is Elizabeth Saunders and the blanket lady I think is somebody Millington. Your batiks are very droolworthy, I'm glad you found them!

    ReplyDelete