Saturday 4 February 2012

Benefit claimants lottery win, fab felt and a National Trust house maybe worth seeing

Shelagh tells me she has been having trouble accessing my blog and I wondered if anyone else had had bother too? though if you were/are, you wont see me asking this!
AND Shelagh says that she can see the Moons Phases on my blog?
Well I spent ages trying to get them on a while back, but assumed that I had not done it right because when I look at my blog...they are not there!
So can you all see them? anyone suggest why I can't then? lol
OH wow! Seriously Spooky! they are there now...............and yes,
I AM sober!
Okay, its terrorism.............it has to be...............

Okay, I know some folks are entitled to benefits but.........this really hacks me off! Its our taxes godamit!

"Lottery couple defend benefit claimA couple who scooped a £10.2 million lottery jackpot have defended their right to claim benefits more than six years later.

Mick and Jean O'Shea won the huge EuroMillions sum in 2005, but Mr O'Shea still receives £500 a month disability allowance because it is not means-tested, the Sun reported.

The former builder told the newspaper: "I worked for 40 years and I'm entitled to it. I've been getting it since about 1996. I declared the win to the authorities at the time, but it doesn't matter as it's not means-tested."

He said he has osteoarthritis in his legs and rheumatoid arthritis in his hands and has recently had a hip operation.

According to the newspaper, Mrs O'Shea, 72, said of the allowance: "It's for his eyesight and arthritis. We're entitled to it."

Mr O'Shea, 73, also receives a new car every three years under the Government's Motability scheme for disabled drivers, it was reported.

The couple live in Sneinton, Nottingham, but reportedly also had a house built in Co Kerry, Ireland, after their win.

Mr O'Shea said the pair give away 10 times more than they receive to good causes every year.

Under Government reforms, disability living allowance will be replaced by personal independence payments, which will involve more rigorous checks on claimants but will not be means-tested.

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pensions said: "We do not discuss individual cases but these specific benefits and allowances are not means-tested."

I'd be interested in your thoughts !

I saw this on the Craftside digest and thought you might like a look............fab felt works...clever lady!

http://kaylacoo.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00:00:00Z&updated-max=2012-01-01T00:00:00Z&max-results=19

AND....................I just watched a Flog It tv programme and they were at
the most amazing looking National Trust house  'A Laronde' over looking Exmouth.
It looks fascinating, you may be interested in looking at the website.
the house has a wall freize running around a room, up near the ceiling.......okay not so unusual, but its pattern is made from feathers!
All gathered by the owners on their 10 year Grande Tour of Europe...thats alot of dead birds sadly....

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/alaronde/


3 comments:

  1. i have mixed feelings about the lottery winner. all i can say is that if it was me, i would NOT continue to collect the govt disability. a govt disability means that all the other taxpayers are paying for it and why should they if the money isn't really needed. people are greedy, aren't they. haven't had trouble on your blog and yes, i can see the moon phases icon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I got your post, yes, I can see the Moon phases, and yes, people double dipping into the gov system while they could work or have a great amount of money hidden gets me upset. It happens in the US too. Just remember, God knows all things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's their conscience......
    wouldn't want it on mine...

    ReplyDelete