Thursday 26 March 2020

Carry On Corona ... sounds like an old film doesn't it!

Well, doesn't life throw us curve balls lol and here we all are, much in the same boat I imagine.
Locked down, in  isolation or working from home and in my case both isolation and working from home.

Hope you are keeping well - all and any of you and not driving yourself and others daft whilst together ..... you have to wonder how many children will be born hereafter after this or divorces petitioned for!

I wonder what psychological effects growing up with the label Corona Baby will bring!
Baby Boomers and Millenials ... Corona Babies .... hmm there's a thought.

And likewise, records will show in years to come for genealogists and statiticians, the deaths that occured world wide because of this virus, although I imagine death certificates will show heart failures or resiritory failures maybe not specifically - as a result of Corona Virus, who knows. And what about deaths in far flung places where they aren't registered for whatever reason? Scary.

So so sad and I truly hope none of you/us lose anyone to this ( man made? I still wonder..) darned contaminate.

But for those of us who have accumulated too large a stash we now have no excuse not to use it or complete UFOs do we ... cough, splutter ..!

I'm able to work my 3 days a week at home though being now 70 with heart issues I was obliged to stay away anyway from there anyway. They have since closed down our Service and our fantastic VI  TAs are supplying work online to our Visually Impaired kids, parents linked in to monitor what the children are and can do, and have access to.

Anyway, this is the ideal time for me to pull my finger out and write often again, I am paying a small amount monthly to keep the blog afloat anyway! 
Though unsure if I stop paying if that means the blog wafts away and is no more or I simply will not be able to witter on here as and when. I am SO untechy me.





Anyway, here are some pics of the Dangerous Pockets I made for the Dangerous Pockets Project. 
The one above commemorates the strike of the Black Country, Cradely Heath women Chain Makers in 1910 who worked in appalling conditions in their backyards for miniscule pay. 
They struck for higher pay and won!
Well worth reading up on their fight on the link above and includes easy to watch videos.

http://www.paulamacgregor.com/dangerous-pockets-project.html

Do look it up, its been remarkable how many pockets were sent to Paula for this community project and there are images online you can look at too.

Below  was my first and I think woman's most hidden pocket, her womb. I wrote a resume of why I had chosen this ....


This is surely woman’s most hidden pocket, her womb.

Women throughout history have generally been considered to be frivolous, emotional creatures whose purpose was to adorn a man’s arm, with or without a wedding band. Who were prone to ‘hysteria’ and were strictly limited in what was considered to be their social station in society. They were restricted by cultural and social expectations, by family ties and men’s need to be the controlling factor in his individual and socially male dominated life. In all levels of society women were inferior beings.

Women brought up in this manner for generations, passed this repression on to their own daughters, as if they had no prospect of being anything important in their own right and should not aspire to anything more.

It was as if they weren’t entitled to anything more and that home making, keeping and mothering were menial tasks anyway. Their life was primarily to minister to man’s sexual whims, run his household and/or provide him with children but thankfully most of us now have the opportunity to select which of those things we want to do.

Medicine provided us with a freedom of choice and with means of contraception so we no longer have to rely on men themselves taking the initiative and using a sheath, or the withdrawal method alone.

The ‘Keep your hand on your halfpenny’ advice for young women, to avoid their too early deflowering and the social shame of pregnancy, might no longer be so often used in earnest or jest.

Mostly we make no secret that we take precautions, so we avoid bringing children into the world for the wrong reasons, yet some may feel unable to admit to using these forms of contraception, so for them, it is truly ‘hidden’.

Some are unable to use them even if they would want to, think poverty and the need to buy food rather than contraception. Think religious doctrine that prevents its use and the emotional guilt burdened on those who consider or use it.

There are ‘hidden pocket’ wombs worldwide that hold untold secrets, some that make hearts ache whilst others hold or held joyful blessed gifts and memories.

Oh and I had to reach out to some FB group folks for the various empty contraception packages, being far past that need myself : ) 
And that's an old British halfpenny on the front, paying homage to the saying
'keep yer hand on yer ha'fpenny' ..




Then I made this to commemorate the women of the SOE whose wartimes roles deserve our respect 






For the life of me I cant find a picture of the Amy Johnson pocket I made up!
I managed to find a charirty shop jacket in near enough a flying suit fabric and khaki from which I used a pocket.
Most annoying if I didn't take a picture before I sent that in too : (



Check out Paula's current project below too, you won't be disapointed.
She is now doing a fabulous facebook group project called Ellen's Legacy where you can make exquisite little books, embroidered, stitched and with time on your hands the perfect little calming stitchy things to make curled up on the settee or sat outside in the sun.
Do check that out too : )
http://www.paulamacgregor.com/ellens-legacy.html

Anyway .... back to work things!








2 comments:

  1. So good to hear from you, you've been on my "to do email list" for a few days, but by the time I have 2 or 3 messenger or phone conversations, and contact at least one on the list, I'm keen to get off the screen and you and some others go back to wait another day 😊
    Much the same here, I put myself in isolation a couple of weeks ago, while others were still gathering, a homebody anyway, so the only thing different is no visitors. We still have a lot of idiots out and about, who won't be convinced this is not just a cold, and hard on the frontliner services.
    I have plenty to do, like you, enough of a stash and ufos for 3 pandemics. Packing as well as all approvals are in for house purchase, not sure where I'll go, as can't be out and about looking at houses.....oh well, it'll sort itself out somehow.
    Glad you're home safe, and can work as well, take care, be well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying self isolation here too - haven't managed to drive each other crazy yet. Of course it helps that Resident Chef spends his time in the living room and kitchen and I'm in my sewing room. Virtually the only contact is when he brings me coffee! (not exactly true - we DO communicate). I like your pocket projects and really enjoying reading the 'story' that accompanied the womb. Very inspired! Take care of you - be safe, be well.

    ReplyDelete