Thursday 1 September 2011

The Hema store, eco bundles reveal and vintage fabrics

http://producten.hema.nl/

Give yourself a break and go to the store site via the link above.
Open it up and just wait a second or two............lol but get ready to turn the sound down!

I unwrapped the bundles of eco stuffs and heres the results.
I used a bolster pillow case that I picked up at a jumble sale I think.
I just tore it into the two strips, front and back.
Alum mordant, simmered in a brew concoction for an hour or so, together in a steel pot. Then left them to cool. Once cooled I unwrapped them, let them hang on the line to dry, washed them through by hand to remove any small bits of debris and here they are drying again later.
The brew was if I recall right, odds and ends of other dye baths with abit of rainwater and had euc bark clippings in it, steeping for weeks and weeks.......abit pungent but once boiled then simmered the smell wafted away.
I bundled rusty nails in with the darker one and the lighter one is mostly an assortment of flowers like delphinium, black eyed suzie, nasturtion etc.
Interesting that the rust and euc bark darkness didnt bleed into the other one, except at the outer wrap area. I may overdye the lighter one to see what happens next.
You can see how they made the Turin Shroud I reckon lol



Spot the arrowhead! Or is it a
moth? Or a jet aircraft!












 Two leaves stuck ont his to the bitter end! See half a wolfs head?
This is wierd! A chalice, wine glass or a bodice? lol

Oh and just put this vintage fabric on Ebay...............anyone know what kind of fabric 'Design Lulworth' is by any chance?
It feels like an old and thin chintz quality. 

Ive another piece thats a similar weight and almost certainly the same maker, but a white background and more cottage floral, but may use that yet myself.
1930s or 1940s maybe?
I have listed several Art Doll Quarterly mags too so if your Uk and interested Im the liniecat seller!
Lots more going to be listed bit by bit too.

5 comments:

  1. wow. that cloth you died turned out fabulous. you must be very pleased. i too look for images in the cloth. always seem to find some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and I did that with ink blots as a bairn too lol I posted you a feather or two by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lyn, you always get such dramatic results. I think it's your fearlessness with the dye-pot! That one piece does look a little like a shroud, doesn't it? The original eco-dyeing. Pun intended!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEwwwwwww hadnt thought of it that way lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. something from Dr Who perhaps?

    ReplyDelete